The Soča River is a popular European kayaking destination. Offering varying levels of difficulty (from I to V), the rapids are suitable for beginners as well as advanced kayakers who prefer a technically demanding course.
Kayak descent on the River Soča inspires kayakers with special feelings of experiencing nature. Gliding on the wavy emerald water surface stops every once in a while in calm spots of the river and touches you with freshness, humming and magical views. Kayak trip to the Soča Valley is a proper chill in the hot summer days, while you will forget all about bad weather on rainy days.
Kayak navigation in the Soča Valley and the surroundings is available on certain sections of rivers and lakes:
- the River Soča (various levels of difficulty),
- the River Koritnica (suitable for experienced kayakers),
- Most na Soči Lake (suitable for beginners),
- Rabeljsko Jezero Lake (suitable for beginners).
A special permit is required for navigation on the River Soča and the River Koritnica. Before you head to the river, see information on the navigation regime and security. We advise laymen to be accompanied by an experienced guide on the river. Sports agencies, which organise descents, will provide the required equipment, a professionally trained guide for safe navigation and transportation to the river and back to the starting point.
Kayak Offer of Sports Agencies in the Soča Valley
- beginner and intermediate kayak school for children and adults;
- kayak descent on the River Soča, guided kayaking trips;
- kayaking camps and workshops;
- Eskimo school;
- rental of equipment;
- shops with kayaking equipment.
Purchase permits only online
You can easily buy permits for the use of entry / exit points at the following link:
Current information on the river
Up-to-date information on the situation on the river, the navigation regime and the Navigation Ordinance can be found on the website: